Old 12-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Lennyg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Leak: Is it the intake manifold gasket?

This 4.2L is in a 2001, 2wd, F-150, that I bought new. It has 130+K miles.
About 500 miles ago I noticed the reservoir was about 1/4 inch low so I added 1/4 inch - didn't smell or notice any leaks. Tailpipe was wet but not unusually.
Engile idle has been a little strange lately (going up and down slightly for no apparent reason).
About 100 miles ago I found the coolant reservoir dry. So I filled it up. Still cant see or smell any leaks (except now the tailpipe seems more wet than usual).
Yesterday, when I jacked the truck up to change oil and rotate tires - a puddle about 8 inches in diameter formed under the end of the tailpipe and now there is liquid leaking (a bigger puddle from a rust spot I guess) at the back of the muffler. These puddles seem to be just water - no green color or coolant odor.
Does this mean the intake manifold gasket(s) needs replacement?
Is this something I can do myself or should I take it to a shop? (I have rebuilt engines before but on much older vehicles).
How much can I expect to pay to have it done?
I need to make a 500 mile run up north pulling an inclosed utility trailer - will the engine be roached if I don't fix it first? (There might be a heated garage to use up there).
Sorry for rambling on. Any help is appreciated!