View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:58 PM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I need some advice.

Presently I am attending Oregon State, as roughly a Junior. I'm in an Ag Business Major program but I am finding that this program is highly restrictive as to what I have to take. In all reality just because I force myself to get an ABM degree does not mean I will get a farming job, or even be better at managing a farm. The ABM program has me taking a lot of classes that I have no desire to take, and in my personal opinion don't apply to what chosen career path. So, because I transferred in from a cc, I have a lot of general ed requirements which apply to a History degree program better than they do an ABM program. I have already taken some ABM classes so this is what I am thinking.
I will switch majors from ABM to History, and then add ABM as my minor so that I can utilize most of the classes I have already taken. With the history program I will reduce the amount of classes I have to take and probably be out of OSU in 2 years or so, while the ABM program will take me 3 full years even though I already have 2 taken care of. More than anything I want to go to a trade school, where I can learn diesel mechanics, cnc machining, welding, heavy equipment operator and cdl training. For those programs I mentioned I figure it will take me a a year or two to knock all of those out if I take them concurrently, as they all have classes from the other one that plugs in. My career goals are either something in Law Enforcement, go to OCS/OTS for the military, and maybe start my own Ag. Business. Anyway, just was hoping for some advice here.

Thanks,

Erik