Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM
freerider
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for me to chime in....as I have tried a few different options in my '07 expy as I was super unsatisfied with the light output on Hi beams!

I tried:
-Silverstar Nighthawks bulbs: decent light on low, but still crappy on high beams.
-PIAA Extreme White bulbs: the blue tint of the lens made the colors wash out on the road...especially the bambi's!

And then, I tried an aftermarket HID kit that went in the reflector housing. (I can hear the grumblings now... ...) I'd like to point out that they were actually not as glaring as you would think (atleast for the Expedition! I agree that other kits are awful). I aimed the lights into the proper position and tested the glare out by having my wife drive the truck while I drove the van...even had a friend do the same and it was concluded that there was, luckily, no glare. BUT! The light being reflected to the ground was horrible. My night vision was completely ruined because of how much stray light was being reflected onto the pavement right in-front of the truck. When I went to Hi Beams, it was still just as bad as before. I concluded that it was the crappy reflector design.

Would I recommend the HID upgrade: HELLS NO! The reflector is not designed for the high intensity of the light! The bulbs ARE the exact same size, but clearly the light output is not.

And here was the next step….and start of an epic fail!!!!

I ordered up a set of Eagle Eyes Halo/Angel Eye Projector headlights…these were about $300 for the pair. The original bulbs in them were Halogens with separate Hi and Lo Beam bulbs (H1 and H7). The way the wiring harness splits the leads, when the Hi Beams are selected, the Lo beams go out…. Not bad for Halogen, but totally scary when I put the HID bulbs in!!!

The other major concern was the beam pattern of the projector. There was no light going to the sides because of an even crappier design! Here is a link to my album showing this mod:

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - freerider's Album: Projector Headlight Assembley with Angel Eyes - FAIL

The lights look very cool, and are OK in the city and decently lit areas. But on the Highway, in the middle of Timbuktu, THESE ARE A MOJOR SAFETY CONCERN! DO NOT BUY!!!!
I am currently awaiting a “real” set of projectors from The Retrofit Source which will actually mount in my existing OEM reflectors. These projectors and HID’s are the same as from Lexus and BWM and will provide DOT approved light! The only hinge is that I have to remove the lens cover from the OEM assembly and then get it back on… there are tons of write up on how to do it and it is the only safe modification I would recommend.