View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 11:42 AM
falconwagon62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Schmitty
Whats involved in swapping in a 302 in place of a 170 in a '60 Ranchero? Are there mounts that make this a bolt in swap without any major mods or clearance issues?
the 2 peice mounts from a 1963-1/2 falcon will bolt right in...cost 50-100 a set on ebay...also the sheet metal 1 peice mount from a 1966-67-68 Mustang will work as well they go for 30-60 on ebay, you can buy new but they are double what used are...the rubber mount needed on the motor is a P/N 1220 and 1221, there is a LEFT and Right on the rubber, and the 2 peice mounts, they will fit either way, but it pushes your motor forward by 2-3 inches, then you can't fit the Radiator in with the fan....

Any C4 will work with the correct bell housing, but 6 cly's have less clutch packs, not real strong. Old C-4's have one bolt hole for the mount to bolt to.

You'll need Headman shorty headers 89 at Jegs, or Long Tube Headers, Doug's fit best $200 or stock falcon Exhaust manifolds used $75....

Call me or mail if you need help, I am President of the Falcon Club in the state of Ohio www.ovcfca.com I have 4 falcon's and have done this swap 50 or 60 times....

As for the Front and Rear end swap will need to be done for SAFETY...the 6cly stuff is WAY, WAY too small to hold the extra weight, wears the joints 3 x's faster...I also would do a Daul Master Cly when you do the front end, buy a 1966 Mustang Front end kit, comes with new ball joints/Arms Upper and Lower, and Bushings that need to be relplaced about $300 and all Mustang Supply Houses, Brakes, find Mustang Disc if you can, I have Granada on my 62 2 door wagon, and I get under steer with that, but works fine 95% of the time...Rear Ends find a 63-1/3 Falcon 8" they are the narrowest, then 64-65 Falcon or a Maverick, watch the width of the wheels...Hope all that helps...

John Howard
President OVCFCA