Thread: cheap lifts?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
93f250tn
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=L. Ward;9592441]Don't put the cart in front of the horse. In your other post, you mention that the F250 has a 5.0, and you were wanting a cam to try and improve the performance, adding the lift and 35" tires before getting the power up on the 5.0 will definitely make it feel like a 98lb weakling. Roll the tires to the back of the garage out of the way, then start saving some money and getting parts a little at a time. Headers, gears, cam, lift, etc. Then when you have the parts all together you can add the power goodies to the truck, and THEN add the lift and tires.

As for the lift, unless you are wanting to do some real extreme wheeling, a 2.5" kit should give you enough lift to clear a set of 35"s. You're looking at about $500 for a decent kit with the drop brackets for the TTB Ford Lift Kits - 1997 Ford F250 4wd - 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit[/QUOTE

If his F250 has a 5.0 thats stock with stock gears that thing with 35s wont even be able to get moving muchless already being able to barely get moving with stock size tires if thats whats on it. Im also a youngester at 19 years old but with my 95 f150 with the 5.8 if i could run 35s and could even do the necessary gear swap i still wouldnt run 35s with out doing a full exhaust (LT headers, full 3" exhaust) and a descent size cam. Inless your parents are paying for gas i wouldnt even think about going any bigger then what you have cause going from stock size tires to 35s your going to lose about a mpg or two. Running 35s if your still absolutely stuck on running 35s and dont care if your gas mileage will be beyond crap, and your truck will be a gutless pig to drive you could swap the rear blocks from 2 inch to 3 inch which is the legal limit which will give you an inch in the rear. and run a spacer up in the front for about a inch and with some fender trimming you might be able to fit 35s thats the absolute cheapest way to go and IMO it will look like crap and if you go off roading at all the tires may end up hitting the inner fender. Like stated above "Cheap" and "Lift" do not belong in the same sentence i learned that on here from asking about a 6" kit.
You could also run a 3" body kit that would fit 35s but alot of people are against them but you get the most lift for your buck that way when the kit only costs roughly $130. Your not going to be able to run 35s without fender trimming with out atleast a 4 inch lift kit and it not hitting the inner fender when you go over a bump. Hopefully this helps you out abit.