View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
mshastay
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 f150 4.6 engine problem

<TABLE id=post653607 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #dddddd 1px solid" id=td_post_653607 class=alt1>hi, I have a 1998 f150 with almost 200,000 miles and it is powered by a 4.6 litre engine. About a month ago I was towing my boat and the check engine light came on. Didn't notice anything wrong with the way she was running other than the light was on. I never got the code read and I disconnected the battery to clear the code.
Last weekend, I was towing my boat again and near the end of my 60 mile trip the check engine light came on and it also started to flash. immediately the engine was running like crap. I pulled over and disconnected the battery thinking that I may reset something and my truck would start running better. I finished my trip with the engine constantly stalling and running poorly.
I took the truck to a garage but with the check engine light now off they could not diagnose it nor could they get the light to come back on, so I picked the truck up again and hooked up the boat and took off for a five minute ride and the light came on again but this time it was not flashing. So I dropped the truck off at the garage for the second day. They called me and told me that the code was for a lean fuel mixture but they could not figure out what was wrong. the mechanic suggested that it was not an individual cylinder problem and that I may have engine damage.
I took my truck back and I changed the fuel filter which seemed to make somewhat of a difference. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and changed the engine oil. The truck still idles rough but does not stall anymore and I can feel it running rough at higher speeds. the engine is the smoothest when I get to highway speed and then decelerate. I did complete my trip back with the trailer and the light has not been on since..
Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks
mike