View Single Post
Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
I hope that you drive like an old lady, other wise you can expect the 5.0 to be staying above 5000 rpm where it makes some power. Redline is over 7000.

As far as mileage reports for the 6.2, that engine is tuned differently for the SuperDuty. Latest from Ford said 13/18 for it in the F-150
Well yes as a matter of the fact I do drive my trucks nicely. I wouldn't say I drive like a grandma by any means. But rarely do I get the urge to drive any way other than in the most practical manner. Personally I think the 5.0L will be plenty for the F-150's needs. I may catch some heat for stating this but I intend to do very little if ANY towing with my soon to be F-150. I currently drive a 2003 Ford Ranger and in reality the Ranger is enough for my needs in terms of hauling..etc...etc. I'm getting an F-150 for two reasons,

I've worked for the money and I'll buy any vehicle I want regardless of what the government tells me I should be driving.

I do have a decent social life and I've learned that hauling people,(friends, Girlfriend, Family) whoever around in the Ranger, is really not all that comfortable. And before anyone say's just get a Taurus...No that voids reason #1 out. I'm not much of a fan of sedan type cars.

But even so I have seen Torque curve's for the 5.0L and I'll post were I have seen them...Its a Youtube Video. And yes I know the Ecoboost has a wonderful diesel like torque curve, But as of right now. Its not the engine for me, and since the 6.2L is not available in all models of F-150, that leave's me with the 3.7L and 5.0L and I'm going with the 5.0L.

They are shown at the end of the video.
YouTube - #21 of 22 2011 Ford F-150 BFT Roundup -- 2011 Ford Ecoboost Drag Race Times vs Ford V8 Chevy Dodge

Personally I'm going to test drive all trucks before I buy, even the 3.7L V6 and Ecoboost. But I am sure that unless the 5.0L turns out to be just a complete worthless flop of an engine...It'll be the one under the hood of my new truck.