View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 08:29 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 640 CI Aluminum FORD
I agree with you 100%. I myself and planning on buying a 2011 F-150. But It won't be an Ecoboost. I will be getting a 5.0L V8 myself. Personally I don't for see the V8 going away anytime soon. I mean Ford spent ton's of money developing the 5.0L and 6.2L, and what a waste it would be to confine the 6.2L to limited use production in (Superdutys and Specialty trucks.) And the 5.0L to only Mustangs. As far as the concerns about fuel economy on the 6.2L's behalf I have already heard of quite a few reports of 6.2L powered F-250's seeing 17+mpg. And that may not sound like much, But comparing it to the old 5.4L powered F-250's that got 11mpg, I'd say for the extra power and displacement the fuel economy gain is quite impressive. Now imagine this same engine in an F-150 that weighs 1,000lbs+ less than the F-250. 20+mpg? Now add D.I to this 6.2L, Boom 15 - 20% increase in fuel economy there. Now keep the N/A D.I 6.2L and Make an optional 6.2L Twin Turbo (Ecoboost), and presto! You have a large displacement V8 engine that produce's way more power than any Twin Turbo V6 could ever produce, and yes with SAME flat torque curve. All the while getting decent mileage.

And on that note in real world driving I expect the 5.0L V8 to be pretty damn close to the 3.5L Ecoboost. I expect the 5.0L V8 when driving (unloaded) of course to easily be able to get 20+mpg on the highway, and 16 or 17+ in the city. Which also brings me to another statement, You said its all in how you drive it, (Referencing fuel economy) also 100% true. I have managed to personally achive over 20mpg with both 5.4L Ford and 5.3L GM V8's. I was driving them much like I do every other car/truck. Not giving it to much throttle and letting it shift at no higher than 3,000 RPMS.

Some people say guys like you and I need to catch up with the time's and let technology prevail. But those guys are in the same position as you and I without even realizing it. They say that people like you and I fail to realize that V8's are just big gas hogs. And I say they fail to realize that that's an old way of thinking. Sure 25-30 years ago a 350hp V8 would probably be getting around 7 to 10mpg in a full size truck. Today we can make a 380 - 411hp V8 that get's closer to 20mpg, Ala 6.2L, And even that engine lacks fuel improving things such as D.I and Forced Induction!!!

Sorry if this seems like a rant...Its not meant to be. I'm just sick of these new age people telling me I need to catch up with the times. I don't complain about guys that like to drive green, That's their choice, If they want to drive a Prius or a V6 fullsize truck that's fine with me. But I personally want a V8. Sorry if you think that's impractical of me. But its just what I want. But with that said, I do hope the Ecoboost is successful for Ford. Its just not my cup of tea though I'm sure it will be the perfect engine for many people.

Now on a final note...Do I think the Ecoboost V6 is a replacement for the V8 engine? Personally no, If you remember just a few years ago, All the fuss was trying to convince Ford,GM and Dodge to make small displacement diesel's for their 1/2 ton trucks. Most of them being around 4.0L to 4.5L engines. But since then the price of diesel has sky rocketed, I'm sure the researchers at these company's don't think a small diesel would sell now for two reason's...

Price of diesel fuel is quite a bit more than gasoline now

The cost of developing and building a small diesel would mean that they would have to charge up to 8,000 extra dollars over the top gas engine offered in 1/2 tons. Meaning that your average Joe 25K 1/2 ton suddenly becomes a near 40K truck with only 1 option...The diesel.

Instead of the Ecoboost replacing the modern V8, I like to look at it as a replacement for the baby power stroke that was for all other accounts born a still birth.

It should also be noted that, I have heard many rumors that when the F-150 does receive a redesign in the 2014 or 2015 Ford is planning on using much lighter weight materials such as high grade aluminum instead of Cast Iron on huge high weight things such as the Frame...This could potentially reduce the overall weight of the trucks 1,000+lbs. Which in turn would make it easier for Ford to meet their new C.A.F.E regulations, and thus keeping the V8 engine in 1/2 ton's alot easier. So imagine this...

2014-2015 F-150
1,000+lbs reduced weight over its predecessor.
Direct Injection = Standard on all engines
Forced Induction = Optional on select engines.
3.7L V6
3.5L Ecoboost
5.0L V8
6.2L V8

All able to achieve 20+MPG.

This is the future I hope for with 1/2 ton trucks. And very well could be seeing as the 5.0L and 6.2L were made to be upgraded, unlike the 5.4L and 4.6L.

Cheers!
I hope that you drive like an old lady, other wise you can expect the 5.0 to be staying above 5000 rpm where it makes some power. Redline is over 7000.

As far as mileage reports for the 6.2, that engine is tuned differently for the SuperDuty. Latest from Ford said 13/18 for it in the F-150