View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 09:00 AM
ken04
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing Chain Replacement?

Originally posted by krewat
I was VERY proud to buy a Ford modular motor (first modular I got was my '96 T-bird 4.6L) . The reason? NO DAMN BELTS for an OHC.

I can't understand why any auto manufacturer thinks it's OK to use a timing BELT. A chain is thinner, meaning shorter motor overall, and I just don't buy the "chain noise" or "vibration" excuses for using belts. And you don't even have to worry about the cam seal leaking.

Harley owners are on their own!

ak
While it's nice to think that Ford was considering us, it's buying public in their decision to use a chain instead of a belt, the reality of it is there is just really no practical way to use a belt on any "V" configured engine. Without a hugely complex system anyway. Personally the idea of a belt is appealing to me on small engines. They're inexpensive, relatively easy to change and very quiet. Now a large engine, and a V configured engine at that would be a Rube Goldberg set-up at best so I was happy so see that the cams are chain driven. And happier still to see that they are not required to be replaced at some interval.