View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 09:12 AM
fordopie
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks! My Haynes manual said it was somewhere else. I will check when I get back home. By the way, you are right that it is a switch. The idiot gage on the dashboard goes to mid-way upon startup and then goes to zero a few minutes later. The oil idiot gage stays in the mid-position while driving but goes to zero at a stop light. In between fast and idle, the gage jumps back and forth like crazy. It has been doing this for 5 years and the car has gone to California and back. 5 years ago and each time I take it to a service shop, they tell me the engine is shot and I need a new engine. Even the factory service shop told me that. Could it be that the oil pump can not be replaced or checked without removing the engine (as my Haynes manual says)? SO that these shops are saying that it is not worth it to remove an engine to check an oil pump without going ahead and replacing the engine? So what I have in mind is putting in a real pressure gage in a tee with the idiot oil pressure switch (Autozone??) and then looking at the real oil pressure. Think that can be done??? Thanks.