Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 AM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Future of the V8 engine. Uncertin? or Solidified?

This is a question that has been burning in my mind ever since Ford got serious about putting the Ecoboost 3.5L in the F-150's. As an avid fan of the V8 engine I must admit I am skeptical of the Ecoboost, And my next truck I plan to buy next summer will be powered by the new 5.0L V8. The thing thats really making me wonder though is Ive seen alot of comment's by people on web sites that have tested the Ecoboost or give specs to it, claiming that the Ecoboost means the end of the V8 engine. But some people also seem to feel that the V8 will find life even after the 2016 regulation's kick in.

What do you think? Will C.A.F.E ultimately make it so only high end luxury automakers like BMW only offer V8's? Or do you think that with the modern technology available such as Direct Injection, The V8 will live on in the domestic automakers?

My personal thought's on it are, I don't think it will be going away (Hopefully) I think the worst or best (depending on how you look at it) could mean that V8' engines will become more of a base/midgrade engine offering in 1/2 ton's and Turbo'd 6's will become the new top-line engine offerings. But who know's I am curious as to see how many more MPG Ford could squeeze out of the new 5.0L and 6.2L I've heard most Superduty 6.2L owners claiming at least 16-17highway mpg unloaded. I would expect in a smaller more arodynamic F-150 it would be capable of even better. And the new 5.0L V8 is suposdly rated at 21mpg highway when equipped in the F-150. These engine's are still in their most basic form to. They have alot that can be done to them and I'm 90% sure that at some point in the next few years we will see Direct Injected versions of both the 6.2L and 5.0L. I would also like to see them Turbo and DI (Ecoboosting) both of these engine's, Perhaps their MPG's would increase even more in that instance.

Also I wonder if Ford is still working on the Bobcat duel fuel 5.0L That was a pretty impressive sounding engine to.