Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM
kaduh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plug shot out of head, need advice.

I posted this over in the Excursion section, but I thought I'd also post it here to see if you guys can offer any advice.

I was wondering if anyone in the Excursion family has had this happen to them. A friend of mine had one of the plugs shoot out of the head while taking her daughter to school. She parked it immediately and called her husband, who called me to come and take a look at it. It broke the coil pack and we found the plug laying on the ground. It didn't appear to have any of the threads from the head on it so I thought it might be an easy fix. Got a new plug and coil pack, but the plug feels like it is cross threading into the head, like some of the last few threads were stripped out on ejection. My question is do they make a tool to tap the threaded spark plug hole, and if so, where can I find one. I don't want to force anything in and make it a bigger job. Luckily the live about 1/4 mile from the school, so I disconnected the injector and he was able to limp it home. It is a 2000 Excursion with the 6.8 Litre.

I'm usually on the 87-96 thread because that's what I drive, but I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you could help. Thanks in advance for any guidance.