Old 10-27-2010, 06:31 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be the first to also say that I too miss the power of the diesel. Looking back in retrospect I really wish I could have kept my 2000 F350 dually with the 7.3, but it was going to become a money pit. I loved the engine. No, it didnt have high horse power and torque numbers like today's diesels but it was a pulling beast. I loved hearing the sound of that sweet turbo whistle. But the day of the 7.3 has long since past with the last new one being manufactured back in early 2003.

The trade off is that the new trucks are so much nicer and refined. The entire platform is so much better with the exception on the super complex diesel engines. I really wanted a new truck that I would own from the time it rolled off the dealer's lot, unlike my 7.3 which I brought used with 169000 miles on it. The engine needed minor repairs but the rest of the body was slap worn out, thus needing a ton of repairs.

Now, having purchased my 2011 brand new, I know what I'll more than likely face down the road because I've been the sole owner and I know how I treat and will maintenance my truck. I wrestled with the decision comparing diesel to gas, but IMO at this time the scales are easily tilted toward the gas engine.

I've owned a V10 in the past and I had absolutely no problems with it. I was completely worry free when driving it also. Just as I am now with my 6.2. But I was worried with my 6.4. Just too many things that could go wrong. One of my deciding factors in getting rid of it was how would I maintenance this truck after the warranty is gone. The cost of replacement parts are way too expensive, and for major repairs, it would cost an arm and a leg. When I took a look at the 6.7 my first impression was "WOW", what a complex piece of machinery that performs extremely well. I left the dealer a little disheartened because it seemed like complexity level of the powerstrokes just switched from 4th to 5th gear. So did the power output, but I favor simplicity over power. I'm not saying that the 6.7 isnt an amazing engine because it is, just not for me. I began to wonder that if the 6.4 costs 15,000 plus to replace the engine, how much would it cost to replace the 6.7?? I assume since its a more refined complex engine, it would cost more, but I could be wrong.

I went back and really begin to look into the 6.2. I was impressed with what I saw. The main innovative feature of the 6.2 is 2 spark plugs per cylinder and I can deal with that. Easy does it. No big deal IMO. No, it doesnt have the ground thumping power of the 6.7 but it's plenty powerful enough for me and it will get the job done just as good. After towing with it several times now (even as indicated in my earlier posts) I can truely say that the 6.2 does a fine job, and it does it very smoothly. I'm very happy with my decision to purchase the 6.2 and I dont think I'll ever look into the new pick up truck diesel again until I have faith in all of these new systems that must come with them, and some of the associated costs for maintenance and repair are reduced. But with the 2014 emissions standards coming, I dont think they will get any less complex but rather more complex.