View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by HISGTO
Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum and hope to find some help with a 66 F100.
It has a 352ci engine with a manual 4spd, manual steering and brakes.

I bought the 66 in January for my son. Something cool that we could work on together. It looks great but needs some mechanical help. This is good cause I don't know body work, but have been working on my own cars since I was a kid.

So here is the issue I'm having with the truck. It has low oil pressure. The truck has the stock oil light and oil gauge. Both indicate low pressure when the truck is warm. Also, the engine makes noise when idling and sometime when there is light or no load on it.

I replaced the oil pump with a new Mellings M57, but no love.
The previous owner states the only major work done on the truck was rebuilt heads from a 390ci.
The truck has a remote oil filter setup.

Also, the oil pan gasket leaks terribly. I followed the torque specs for the pan but it looks like it was too much for the Felpro cork gasket and Permatex High Tack sealer I used.
I wanted to hear if there are "best" methods to a ford pan gasket. Type of gasket most people use, any process that works best.

We have some old Pontiacs and I know those fairly well. Never had problems with the Felpro/High Tack sealer combo.

Well, thanks in advance for any help. If this forum is anything like the Pontiac forum I use, I will learn a ton from you guys.
First off ditch the remote filter setup. Did you try a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what actual pressure is?

If you have already replaced the pump and low oil pressure its an indication of brg clearance. When you remove the pan again pull the rear main and look at bearing and crank. When the brgs get loose it can also cause rear oil leaks with the rear main.

On the noise do you think its a rod brg going out? Another indication of possible brg failure. I just pulled a 352 pan off recently that had never been off and the crank and bearings look pretty good after 45yrs. Oil pressure was 45psi @ a bit higher rpm and down to around 20psi at idle.

As far as sealing them up I use the Ford gasket cement for gasket to block then put a very thin film of "the Right Stuff" sealer gasket to pan simply do not get leaks. In the past I have used the Ford gasket cement both sides and did not get leaks.

I normally go just a few inch pounds on initial torque then wait for the sealant to set up then do the final torque which should be 10-12. If gasket is really squishing out its too tight. Are you using a cork or other pan gasket?

110-120 inch pounds is usually adequate.

edit add: are you sure its the pan or the rear main side seals or not leaking past the caps?

Did you offset the rear main seal, put sealant across the main cap-block? What brand seal and gasket did you buy? Some of the side seals expand upon contact with oil, did you oil or soak them. Kind of tricky until you get the hang of installing that main cap. Explain how you installed the rear main seal and main cap side seals and pins

A cheap oil filter like a PH8A Fram can also give you lower oil pressure than a good filter like the FL1A or the FL1HP Motorcraft. The remote filter can also give lower oil pressure