View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 01:29 AM
greenwoodford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R/R brake caliper issues

While I was deployed earlier this spring my wife noticed a weird smell coming from her Excursion. A friend of ours looked over the truck and found that the R/R caliper had brake fluid coming from inside the caliper and all over the place. He helped us out and replaced it for us with an Autozone caliper which has a Ford stamp on it.

Well, about a month ago I noticed that there was a ton of fluid leaking from the same wheel; sure as hell the caliper had failed again. So this time I replaced it with another Autozone caliper (lifetime guarantee). A few days ago I was crawling around under the truck and noticed THIS caliper has also failed. This is the third caliper on the same wheel.

I looked at the whole brake assembly and the fluid is ONLY coming from inside the caliper (leaking down the rotor). The brake line connecting to the caliper is completely dry.

Has anyone else had any issues with multiple calipers failing? I did a search and couldn't come up with anything solid. The truck is a 2001 Ex Limited V10 with 130K on the clock.

Thanks all.