View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 09:07 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by thefordlane
Hey guys i have an 01 ford ranger with a 4.0l liter and its starts hard. Im pretty sure its not the fuel pump because i can hear it cycle when i turn the key on. I also just replaced the fuel filter cuz i thought that it was the problem, but i did not help. So im wonder what the location of the fuel pressure regulator is to see if thats where my problem would be. Also what is the price of one, just curious. If anyone has any other ideas to what this problem might be please post.

Thanks,
First check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve, with a presure gauge.
Most autoparts stores have them in their "Loan-A-Tool" program, for a refundable deposit, if you don't have, or want to own one.

The fuel pressure should be 64 +/- 8psi.

On your year/model, the fuel pressure regulator is in the tank attached to the fuel pump assy, as has been said.

If you have to replace it, folks that have done so, say it's easier to unbolt the bed, fuel filler tube & disconnect the rear tail light connector, remove the tailgate to make things lighter & slide the bed back to rest on the rear tires, with the tailgate end on saw horses.

This allows access to the top of the fuel tank for easy pump removal, without having to drain & drop the tank, which can be dangerous & a pia!!!!

If the fuel pressure checks out ok, what kind of condition are the ignition wires & spark plugs in & whats their spark gap???? Excessive spark gap makes for a weak spark & hard starts. So too do worn loose fitting, split cracked, electrically leaky ignition cables.

So will a cold weak battery, thats putting out low voltage to the starter motor, fuel pump & ignition system, on a start.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.