Thread: No spark/start.
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM
alarsso444
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
They can test the module at most auto part stores. Autozone, Kragen, O'Riley's etc...

This means one of two things. If the distributor base is corroded or painted you will need to scratch this off enough to get a reading. If the distributor is corroded really bad it will lose it's ground through the distributor base to the engine block. The wire could also be broke etc...

Depending on how you tested it, this sounds fine. you should test the resistor this way. You unplug the ignition switch, DS-II module connector, and the coil, and do a continuity OHM tests between the two wire ends on the red/green stripe wire. There should be between 0.8 to 1.6 ohms on this circut.
I did this test between the red wire, unplugged, at the coil and the red wire from the inition switch at the ignition module,unplugged, and got 0 ohm. I also checked "Ignition coil (RUN) supply voltage" and got 12.4 V- it should have been 6-8 V. The resistor seems to have no effect on the voltage=broken resistor?

You need to check the Red wire, and the White wire at the module connector on the main harness for power as well. In Run and In start mode.
My result: Red wire; Run=12.5 V Start=12.3 V, White wire; Run=0 V Start=12.4 V