View Single Post
Old 09-11-2003, 12:09 AM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide-in camper in a Ranger?

Considered pop-ups too. Everyone has different wants and opinions. Main thing was, I came across a nice, newer barely used camper that I could have gotten a good price on. Personally, I like regular cab-overs vs pop-ups. I don't like having to reconfigure everything to stand, sleep, every time I stop. A regular height camper I can just open the door and step in whenever I want. As far as tying up the whole truck when on vacation, either camper can be put on the jacks and driven away from. Although, it would probably be left on most of the time I'm traveling anyway.
Personally, I like slide-ins more than trailers because;
1) Easier access to backroads, etc, without worrying about having room to turn a trailer around.
2) I <i>could</i> tow something light, if I wanted to (small fiberglass sailboat, kayaks...)
3) Only takes up one parking space (sometimes I stop and sleep/cook in parking lots or streetside and don't want to bring TOO much attention)
4) I've simply always liked slide-ins and van conversions.
Another reason I don't like pop-ups is because it's really obvious that someone is in it when the top is up. Draws a little more attention then a regular camper. Not to mention I like to camp in cold weather a lot, and pop-ups aren't insulated as well, also worried about life of the canvas in the damp climate I live in. Either way, I'd still consider both. I'm looking for some other forums to find people who have driven Rangers with campers in them, to hear their opinion. I realize how most people would feel unsafe. Just gotta hear someones opinion with experience. If I went ahead and bought one, I would get a pop-up without hesitation about weight or stability. A regular camper might be questionable, but still considered.
Sorry about the long posts...

Brian J Wilson