View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 02:48 PM
brianjwilson
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slide-in camper in a Ranger?

This is pretty much what I expected to hear
The main reason I'm asking is because, like I said, I've seen it done quite a few times. And I do remember the manual saying it doesn't recommend slide-in campers. I'm trying to re-find the website I saw a few months ago, about a couple who had a 98-00 Ranger 4x4 supercab, who had a cabover camper like this. They traveled and lived in the camper, all over in the states, into Mexico, without any complaints about handling. I've seen a couple of 4x4 Ranger SC's with campers driving through town and in/out of driveways and look pretty stable, just never got a chance to talk to any of them.
Anyway, the camper I looked at said the max weight of the camper (which is with all options installed), was 1340lbs I think. Held only 10g of water (80lbs), then propane and gear, still quite a bit of weight, I know, but very little for a camper. It was also just barely taller than 6'. I do realize that I would be close to, or maybe over the weight limit. When traveling, most of the weight would be down on the floor, or in the cab of the truck.
The good thing about safety right now is, I don't think I can afford another payment for it right now anyway. Just hoping that maybe 1-2 years down the road I could maybe make it work. I'm pretty much stuck with the Ranger until it dies, so can't even consider another truck, and wouldn't want to . I'm just running my mind trying to think what would help support the load. As far as wheels and tires, I'd probably take my 31x10.50R15's off, and put on 16x8 wheels with 265/75 load D tires. But that's just one of many things that would need to be done. I'd still really like to hear from someone who has experience with a small camper in a Ranger. Thanks again for the input!

Brian J Wilson