View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:43 AM
oldfart
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IT'S ON CUZZZZ! (turkey huntin' story)

Well now fellers since Joe has welcomed me back to the fold I figgered I owed him a huntin' story. See, I been huntin' turkeys for about 20+ years and the last coupl'a years I wuz boun an determined I wuz gonna kill one with a flintlock. (I've actually only kilt 2 birds in 20+ years by the way) Anyways, I worked up a right smart stout load for this Pedrosoli Brown Bess I like to drag around. It's a .75cal./11ga. like the redcoats used from 1715 up until sometime in the mid-1800's. Come april I'd located a small flock o' birds..2 hens, a gobbler and 2 jakes, not far from the homeplace. I watched em' for weeks and they wuz there every day. Opening morning I was on the south corner of that field with 2 decoys and a passel of calls. They stayed in the north corner. Next day..switched sides..they come out in t'other corner. ++++! We kept this up fer a week. I got there at 4a.m and sit till noon every day...always in the wrong place. I called, tied strings to the decoys ta wiggle em' an used every trick I knowed. Nada. Zip. Them hens trolled them jakes&gobbler around like fishin' lures and wouldn't come near me. At the beginnin' of the second week I'd had just about enough. Time to rethink this. I figgered if they wasn't comin' to me..by dang I would settle fer an ambush! I know some fellers don't condone ambushin' turkeys. Well, try huntin' them with a 250yr. old flintlock sometime. So the next Mon. I headed fer the fields at 3a.m inna full Ghillie suit and left the calls an decoys in the truck. Time was runnin' out and so was my patience. Part 2 is comin'! Audie...the Oldfart!