Thread: 2.5 timing belt
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2010, 08:04 AM
BarnieTrk
Cargo Master
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by michigan66
Your engine is a noninterference one. The belt does not last forever. 60 to 100k miles is a good interval to replace it. Its great that yours has lasted as long as it has and its true that, if it breaks while you are on the road, no damage will be done to your engine. However, you may find yourself stuck in an awkward place or at a bad time, so give a thought to replacing it.
Agreed. If I recall correctly, my Haynes manual says to change the timing belt every 70K miles. No special tools were needed on my '94.

I also agree that being broke down when I don't have the spare time nor being close to home is a good thing. Get the parts and schedule some time to do it and get 'R dun!

This would also be a GREAT time to do a coolant flush, change any radiator hoses that are looking tired, if the water pump is original - change it now, and the thermostat and the serpentine belt. Check all the pulleys and the belt tensioner for any bad bearings, wobble or squeaking; any that seem questionable, change them.

Good Luck!
BarnieTrk