View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner
Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Raptor
I been told that I can eliminate the tranny cooler lines.Can some one tell me how to step by step eliminate this lines and if I will see any positive and cooler temps on my tranny.Any advice is greatly apreciate it.
You won't see cooler temps. Removing a cooler will only make the trans hotter.

Originally Posted by phil6608
I cant tell you the exact routing but you basically bypass the transmission lines that go through the radiator.
You can get away with it it hot areas like where your at.
You can get away with it better in cooler areas than hot. Removing a cooler in hot weather will make the trans hotter, not cooler.

Originally Posted by phil6608
I run the 250 cooler also but it gets below freezing up north here and I need the lines going through the rad to warm the tranny up in the winter.
You could get away with bypassing the radiator cooler because you don't get the high ambients that they do in Arizona. You'd be better off in the winter with less trans cooling.

Originally Posted by Blurry94
190 is not that hot for transmission temps, and bypassing the cooler will just result in higher trans temps.

Bypassing the radiator will also result in the same because the temp of the fluid entering the radiator is much higher than the coolant temp, and fluid to fluid cooling is the most effective way to lower temps. Having the fluid run through the radiator helps regulate the fluid temps in warm and cold weather and the air cooler will help a little more; having the temps around 180 degreess is ideal. F-250 coolers are actually good because they're stacked plate type cooler which do a much better job than a tube and fin type.
Exactly!

The cooler in the radiator is a cooler. It NEVER warms the trans fluid. I have measured this as cold as -40°F and I was never able to find a condition where the ATF was colder than the coolant around the trans cooler. I had thermocouples to measure the temperature of the ATF going into the radiator cooler, out of the radiator cooler, and inside the radiator next to the trans cooler. The coolant is ALWAYS cooler than the ATF. The temperatures actually get closer the hotter it is outside, when I tested in below zero temperatures it was not even close. The water temperature was A LOT colder than the ATF at all times.