View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 AM
vector
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 F150 Stalling problem

I have a 1989 F150 with the 6 cylinder and 4sp/od. 125,000 miles

I have had a stalling problem for several months but it was only occurring infrequently and I have been ignoring it. It is occurring much more often now and is cause for concern.

The stall usually occurs while driving but recently has included stalls shortly after start up. It is as if the ignition is turned off. No jerking, missing or other indications that it might be fuel related.

When it occurs on the highway the only light on the dash that initally comes on is the Check Engine light. The speedometer also immediately drops to zero.

I coast to the side of the road and if it does not start immediately it so far has started within 30 seconds and not more than one minute. I am then on my way and it may not occur again for a week or more.

The truck is driven infrequently but has always been a quick starter and has no bad habits other than this annoying stalling.

It has been doing it more often and yesterday did it twice within 10 minutes while working at moving some items around my property. It also did not want to start again quickly like it had in the past. Just letting it sit and coming back in five minutes was enough for it to start right back up.

The truck was purchased used a few years ago and as far as I know has mostly original ignition components (other than cap, rotor, plugs and wires).

I am mechanically capable, but have no experience or understanding of the ignition system on this truck.

Any suggestions on probable suspects to start to look for a solution?

Thanks, Randy