Old 09-18-2010, 03:34 PM
sotwclarinetguy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Hub maintenance (and o-ring replacement)

I recently had some noise from one front hub, and I learned that these hubs are completely take apartable for repair.

Remove the snap ring and pull the hub out of the wheel hub. Place it **** end down on the bench (so the innards are up). With a screw driver, remove the blue colored snap ring from the inside of the outside rim of the hub. Don't remove the center snap ring. Turn the hub over tap the entire center innards out of the hub. Remove the outside drive dog from the center spline portion. Remove the springs from the hub housing. The white nylon piece at the bottom of the hub bore will got out the **** end with the ****.

**** o-ring replacement: Turn the hub **** just past lock with a pair of pliers. It can then be popped out of the hub housing. Remove the old o-ring and install a new one from an equipment dealer or autor parts place (they will be able to match one up). Lube up the new o-ring with grease and put it on the ****. Re-install the **** and turn it to "unlock".

Remove the snap ring from the center splined hub. Remove the top washer and the white nylon bearing housing from the splined hub. Grease the bearing. Reverse assembly and re-install the snap ring.

Lightly grease all the parts and re-assemble in reverse order.

This whole process takes about 30 minutes or less for both hubs. And, you don't have to buy a replacement hub because the o-ring failed. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I could not find it in a search.