Thread: E4OD shutter
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 08:24 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chad, I got your PM - I'm posting the info you wanted here tho so maybe someone else can use it as well later on. On my truck the wire in the transmission harness that carries the converter lockup signal is a yellow/purple wire (IIRC purple is the main color, yellow is the tracer, but I'll double-check tomorrow in the daylight), the PCM uses it to ground the TCC solenoid's coil and thus complete its circuit and engage converter lockup. The simple and easy way to disable lockup is to simply cut that wire - however in many cases the PCM will not like that, some PCMs apparently monitor voltage at that wire and when they don't see it drop as per their command the go nuts and enter limp mode. The trick around that is to feed the PCM a dummy signal - what I did on my truck was when I cut the wire from the TCC in half I fed the end that comes from the PCM back into the cab and added a 20k or 22k resistor to it inline and then hooked it to a 12V key-on power in my fuse panel - basically the resistor is my TCC solenoid emulator, when the PCM decides to engage converter lockup it grounds the wire and current passes from my key-on source through the resistor and into the PCM, the PCM sees a voltage drop that is within its pre-programmed parameters and thinks all is good with the converter, while in fact it has no connection with the converter solenoid whatsoever no more. Then for me to manually engage and disengage the converter as I pleas I simply extended the end of the wire I cut that comes from the solenoid pack, ran that into the cab, through a nice on/off toggle switch, and then to a good ground (steering column support).

Is that good enough for your purpose, or you'd like more info? I got wiring diagrams for that setup that include LEDs for driver's visual aid, and also of you want a 3-position lock-off-auto setup as well...