View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 10:21 PM
jimburke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E4OD dead, AOD swap?

Ok well here goes. After finally getting everything connected we had to put the original 1995 starter back on and it meshes fine. It appears Ford started using a solenoid on the starter somewhere between 1990 and 1995 in conjunction with the one mounted on the inner fender. I was able to use the neutral safety switch off the E4OD transmission (set in neutral position for starting) and then tucked the whole harness under the hood to help prevent corossion. Caution as the truck will now start in ALL gears!!! We ground the weight from the flywheel which eliminated the vibration ( E150x prewarned me about) The trickiest part was hooking up the shift cable from the column to the transmission as the 1990 donor truck used a rod linkage. We bolted the cable bracket from the E4OD tranny to the tv bracket from the AOD tranny, a short length of straight bar and the E4OD shift linkage together. With a little Macguivering the shifter even reads properly inside the truck. We also were able to use the driveshaft from the 1990 2 wheel drive, along with the rear flange from the 4x4 rear drive shaft to connect to the rear end without any change in the driveshaft length. We did have to make a U-joint from 2 to get the 2 to work together. After everything was completed, we had to make a minor adjustment to the tv cable and everything now works great including OD. At least I now know that the E4OD can be replaced with an AOD tranny.

But after all the screwing around with a Ford, I am glad I own a Chevrolet!