Old 09-06-2010, 06:08 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djjoshuad
I just (Saturday) bought a 2011 6.7L F250. I haven't even cracked the 400 mile mark... if I started making and using biodiesel soon, would I need to change my fuel filters within 500 miles? I see this recommendation everywhere but it seems like a new fuel system might not need the filters changed. Thoughts?

Also, there is a lot of marketing touting the engine's ability to run B20 from the factory. Is this just marketing, or is there something new that makes this possible? Also, does B99 or B100 need any sort of modification? If not... why wouldn't they just say that it can run B100? Seems like better marketing to me.

Keep in mind that I'm new to diesel, especially biodiesel. I'm just looking for feedback and maybe some guidance . Thanks in advance!
To your first question, no. The filter change recommendation has more to do with older vehicles with fuel system build up which would get loosened up from biodiesels strong solvent action. This build up would then create potential clogs in the filter. I think even my 2001 PSD is too 'new' to have
problem causing build up since it never happened to me when I started using biodiesel 3 years ago. Now I run my own B100 most of the time, and B50-B70 during the colder months, and no issues.

My thinking on the factory B20 recommendation is that it's a liability issue. Even if the biodiesel were not up to spec, at 20% it would be diluted down enough with petro diesel that it would pass through without harm. It seems to me that if there were a problem with your new 6.7, and it was confirmed that bio at a greater percentage than B20 was used, it would be easier to blame the issue on the fuel. Maybe it's too much of a grey area, being that there are quite a few homebrewers like myself out there. Fuel quality can vary widely. I don't know, these are just my own speculations I'm throwing out there, and hopefully someone who knows for certain will chime in.