Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by presidentsdad
It's not leaking at the pump though, I think it's the steering box? There are some lines from the pump to another unit and that's where it's leaking. Could that be the source of my groaning sound and not the pump?
No it's definitely the pump that's groaning. If it was the steering box you probably wouldn't have any control over the truck.

Does it look like it's leaking from the bottom of the box, where the shaft and the pitman arm connect? If so, that's a pretty easy seal to change.

Depending on who you ask, you can replace it in the truck or you'll have to drop it. When I replaced that seal on my truck [1991 F150] I ended up dropping the steering box- the advantage here was that I was able to disassemble the box and give everything a really good cleaning. But be extremely careful if you're going to do it this way- DO NOT mess with the adjusting nut on top of the box tho because you don't need to touch it to disassemble the box.

If you can, take a picture of where you think it's leaking from and we can advise you further from there.