View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN
Watch out for those early 00' Triden engines that eject spark plugs. Mine ejected #6 and it cost me close to $880 for the total repair. I've heard horror stories about people who have paid much more. I thought it would never happen to be since I babied my 00' Harley truck so. Google it and do your homework before you pull the trigger. After a bevy of problems all in a 3 month period I finally traded it in. Having said that I bought an 07' Lariat, so I'm either a die- hard Ford guy or a knucklehead. Just be aware of the spark plug issue, aparently, they made the threads way too short for a few years.
They're called modular engines, not Triden engines.

$880 bucks is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too much to repair a spark plug ejection. When it happened to my L, it cost me $200 bucks to have an insert installed.

$200 to $250 is the going rate to place an insert in the head to repair spark plug holes.

Spark plug ejections can be eliminated if the plugs are installed on a cold engine and properly torqued, then checked on a regular basis.

Stewart

PS - It doesn't matter how you drive or if you have a vehicle with a SC, spark plug ejections happened on all the modular engines, from the 4.6L Crown Vics to the V10 6.8L trucks.