View Single Post
Old 08-22-2010, 02:02 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Yup, two leaks with the water test... One is upper left corner and the other is upper right corner... I didn't find any leaks along the top, sides or bottom using a hose with a nozzle.. Just finished cleaning the urethane out of the corners so I can squeegee in some more... Have to wait for the corners to dry first...

I noticed as I was leak checking from the inside that both leaks are coming right where the roof welds to the post and the pinch weld... I also noticed that both corner welds seem to create a "trough" as if the pinch weld is pushed down towards the inside.. On the passenger side, I found that a bubble was created in the urethane over that joint... In retrospect, I should have built up the corners first and then put the bead over it instead of the other way around... That would have ensured a good seal to this "trough" and weld joint...

One other item I notice is that the windshield sits a whole lot closer to the pinch weld.. Learn by doing, bigger bead of urethane and don't push the windshield down as hard... I tended to be aggressive on pushing it down to make sure I had a good seal all the way around... It looks like the trim will not lay completely down against the windshield when I re-install it because the windshield sits back farther.... I still think that one tube of urethane (3M Window Weld) is enough but the trick is getting the notch in the nozzle the correct size... I recommend renting or borrowing a power caulking gun... My hands got a little tired and a power gun lets you focus on a consistent speed of application adding to the consistency of the bead....