View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 PM
LFDavidson
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, the truck is sitting in the driveway with the old windshield out. Once I got it out, it looked like there was an original rubber and foam seal directly on the pinch weld and with urethane adhesive on top of that. I would say the whole thing had a stack up of about 5/16 to 3/8 inch high. I removed all that so that I am down to the pinch weld with just a millimeter or two of the original material left on it.

I picked up a couple of the suction cups from Harbor Freight and used those when I pulled the old one out. They worked pretty good and since it was the old windshield I jerked it around a bit to see if they would hold, they did..

So, I am at the point of deciding to attempt this on my own. I am thinking I will dry fit the windshield and mark the glass and body with masking tape for horizontal position. There are spacers under the bottom edge of the glass from the last windshield change. I think I will put the urethane on the pinch weld (3M instructions) then using the suction cups to hold it, set it on edge on a piece of carpet on the hood and slowly rotate it into place. Just a little uncertain if one tube of urethane will be enough. My 92 chev van only took one but can't remember if the windshield is about the same size or not. Would be easier to put it on the glass instead of the pinch weld to get a more even flow.

Guess I will think about it some more over night.