Old 08-18-2010, 09:22 PM
mechanic58
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow '94 F150, 4.9...runs rough, no power + black smoke

Just picked this truck up, cheap. Its doing some odd stuff. It won't start on its own...you have to give it a shot of either to get it to start, then it'll run seemingly normal until you try to open the throttle. If you open the throttle more than about 25%, it'll stall. It appears someone else has already been troubleshooting this problem. There's large holes drilled in the first cat (lol...) and there was a bunch of vacuum lines pulled off, including the one going to the fuel pressure regulator. Although re-installing that line didn't seem to make any difference in performance. I swapped out the plugs and did a compression check just for starters....it has 120psi on all 6 cylinders. So that pretty much rules out mechanical. It did run slightly better with the new plugs in it, but there's definitely something wrong. I haven't messed with these early F/I Fords, so I'm not familiar with any of the common fail items. I'm hoping someone recognizes these symptoms and knows exactly what's wrong with it.