View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 08:37 PM
crazyeddie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! My ignition switch was questionable so I just replaced it. The box still wouldn't shut down so I did some research on google and someone said to unplug the brown wire on the side of the solenoid (fender apron mounted) and the problem would be solved - someone was right because it hasn't acted up yet

If you don't mind lending some more info, I want to pick your brain again. The truck's ignition has been randomly dropping off on me also. I thought it might be related to the run-on problem, but apparently not. All of my connections are legit - everything soldered and heat-shrinked, negative and positive connect right at the battery (so faulty ground connection is out of the picture), small red wire spliced into the green/yellow wire from the ignition switch (checked voltage - getting dead nutz 12v), and I'm running the mag. pickup so white wire connector is cut off and heat shrinked. On the distributor/coil end, new cap and rotor, good plug wires, and an older Accel Super Coil.

1. It couldn't be the coil because it ran fine with the Duraspark unit before swapping to the MSD unit (unless the Accel coil doesn't get along good with the MSD box?)

2. I sat and waited for it to quit while it was idling and it started misfiring before it finally took in its last breath. Every time it misfired, the LED on the box quit blinking (seems if the coil was causing a misfire, the LED would keep blinking)

3. Since I mounted the Accel coil on the fender apron I never bought a slightly longer coil wire to reach so I tapped into a new set of spiral-wound plug wires and just used a plug wire. I tried wiggling the coil wire around on both sides to see if I'm getting a bad connection - no misfires, and I didn't get blown out of my socks Coil wire can be spiral-wound like a plug wire right?

If I can't get this damn thing figured out, MSD's gonna get a small wooden coffin sent UPS with a StreetFire box inside

Thanks for your input ReAX. I think maybe after this post I'll write a novel!

-Ed