View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 PM
Post Fiend

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarOzz View Post
F250 with the loads you are hauling are you sure you want to trust to electric fans? I have converted many of my rigs over the years to electric but never trusted them on any of the ones I tow or haul with. Just some food for thought.
yup.pretty sure.
i had her loaded up nicely today and now that i know im running around 230 degree temps without a fan engaged at all, in August and it didn't go any higher,iv no worries.thats peak by the way.it goes up to like 235 max and quickly goes back down to 218-222 steady.
it can only run cooler from here on out.

hopefully tomorrow after work if i finish early like planned,im heading to town for:
4 gallons of fleetguard.
4 gallons of distilled water.
new upper and lower radiator hoses.
new Motorcraft E5TZ-8575-C thermostat.
new 13 lb radiator cap.

i was just double checking this article:
Cavitation Article

and see with this coolant,i won't be able to use NAPA's SCA's.but fords will mix with it ok and not get sludge build up problems.DCA-4 i guess.

so since i don't have a clue if the po used a stock thermostat or low silicate fluid,the cap looks rusty,it's only rated at 7 lbs i see! (no good to help against cavitation,according that article) and who knows how old those hoses are-likely stock 17 yr old.
so this is all something i should have checked into sooner like i did everything else.
there's an interesting thread on OBN right now,where some are claiming that @ 40 mph,the fan becomes useless anyway too.
i see a stock fan clutch is $200 at AZ.i can convert to dual electrics from the salvage yard cheaper and run far cooler than i am right now with no fan lol.
so far the only people who seem concerned about using dual electric fans (the good ones from ford cars with the 3.8l engines) seems to only be the people who haven't tried them in my research thus far.
that stock fan spins slightly all the time,using hp and fuel i don't really want to give away.
the draw on the alt will only be when i hit temps i set the fan to turn on,and then no draw when it cools/going down the road.
yup.im trying 'em.
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠