View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RJP66F100
Glad you're getting it figured out.

Daveengleson, the spring hooked to the clutch fork would also make sure the throw-out bearing doesn't spin all the time. I know many modern vehicles are made with the throw-out bearing riding the pressure plate fingers all the time but I would want a spring if it was me.
This ole timer does experience an occasional 'senior moment' and can't recall what I did an hour ago moreless 3 yrs ago when I installed a rebuilt engine and replaced the clutch. Got underneath again this a.m. looking for a spring that just aint there, there's no play in the clutch arm and/or adjuster. I may keep too much tention on the adjuster, but as I noted, been this way for past 40yrs. Considered backing off and adding the spring but hesitant, as someone said, 'if it aint broke leave well enough alone'. Anyhow, don't advise anyone to go without said spring, and appreciate the information, perhaps when clutch needs replacing may consider at that time. imagine difficult to determine how many miles to expect out of a clutch, in my case, it's been the family daily driver involving lots of heavy hauling, replaced clutch/bearing 12k's ago and still running strong.