View Single Post
Old 08-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Robwif150
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Replacement

First, Like to say hi. New here. I've lerked a few times in the past. Had my 2002 F150 5.4l SuperCrew 4X4 FX for 1/2 a year it has 130k on it.

Had it in for service the beginning of summer and was told that there was noise coming from one of the converters (Passenger side) and the innards where loose. Given an extimate on a couple of diffrent options to get it replaced in the near future. Took the truck on a trip and the sensors where causing the engine light to come on.

To save some money I decided to tackle the job myself. I plan on picking up an aftermarket bolt on, but first I wanted to make sure I could do it myself. Today I tried tackling the job of taking it off. I got all the bolts off except been having trouble with the sensor by the exhaust manifold (1st). Any tricks on getting that off? Been using an open end wrench.

Also, for me to get the Passenger cat off, do I need to remove any of the exhaust or driver side cat?

Any suggestions on a aftermarket cat? Found some by Eastern and of course Magnaflow. Also I've seen Davico's.

Sorry if this is a rehash, but I've been doing a lot of searching on the subject. I know I probably should replace at least the first sensor. I've had the truck looked at and am pretty confident that the cat damage has been caused by something already fixed. I do wonder if it would be best to replace both sets of cats at the same time to avoid the same expierence in the near future with the other one. I also wonder if there is a negative side of running one side stock and one side aftermarket. I'm guessing no.

Thanks!