View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Talyn
Stage 2's will destroy a stock turbo. Or a van Turbo.

you can't just log on to guzzles site and buy a few o-rings for your turbo.
If you have damaged parts, they have to be replaced, and you have to know what is considered damaged, which I did not, and I'm going though problems right now. As well as setting seals properly, Apparently you need to fit the exhaust seal. Not 100% sure on that one yet.

Your better off just getting a new turbo replacement and sending in your old turbo's to the guy for core price replacements.

Your 7.3 should have 120-130 CC sticks in them already. My stage 1's are 160's. Stage 1's are about as much as you want behind stock turbo.
You probably have not done a wicked wheel upgrade either? Stock wheel on the super duties sucked. They replaced it with a junky one that has surge issues.

There isn't anything really to special about the van turbo. One guy in the OBS forum has done the swap. You get a different AR, and the super duty is already smaller than the OBS anyways at 1.00 AR, and the OBS is 1.1 AR. Faster spool, less boost, more heat. That van turbo will give you some EGT problems most likely.

Get to crazy on the injectors, and you'll have to start upgrading oil as well.
You are correct about stage 2s being too large for a stock turbo and probably the van as well. I should have said stage 1. Difference between stage 1 and 2 is a larger nozzle, both flow 160 cc's. Izzy351 runs stage 2s with a van turbo but admits he is throwing way too much fuel at it. (Also has 450hp/1000tq).
The only reason I mentioned guzzle's site is because of the writeup on a van turbo rebuild with WW. Doesn't look that difficult, but I can understand that if you have been having issues with your rebuild, why you would recommend getting a new one to begin with. I don't necessarily know the history on my van turbo, but it has no play in the shaft, wheel looks worn.
The van turbo has a 1.15 AR exhaust housing. What I have been reading is that it will spool slower, lower EGTS, but offer more potential with injectors and tuning. Kind of like a compromise between stock and a GTP38R. Rebuild kit is $100 plus Wicked wheel at $100. Far less money than a new GPT38R, but more potential than a stock turbo. I have also read the only difference between stock and van is the larger exhaust housing. Internals are the same. Not really sure anymore with all the conflicting info?
So let's back this up a little. IF we have a GTG, I would like to put on a rebuilt turbo/WW(or a new one), bellowed up pipes, DP tuner, guages and 650 dash. I have the 6637 and CCV already.
Please continue bringing the info William, I really appreciate it.