View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 11:45 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xc4jokestomper
so a 3 inch backspaced wheel would stick out farther than a 5 inch back space?
If they are both the same width, then yes, that would be correct.

ive got the aluminum wheels with the holes in them. are those the 8" wheels?
Honestly, they could be anything, as that design was and is still offered in a number of width options. Best way would be to measure it up yourself, or go to a tire place and have them grab their giant clamp-like measuring tool and do it for you.

i believe that did help. let me get this right though. the backspacing is the space on the backsside of the wheel and the offset is the front side?
Yes, and no - backspace is indeed the space on the inboard (back) side of the wheel, however offset is different. Offset has to do with where the hub-mounting surface is with respect to the center plane of the wheel. Let's go back to my 15x10 wheel example - the center plane of that wheel would be, as implied by its name, right across the middle of it, in other words if you were to cut the wheel across that plane the two halves you'd end up with will be both 5" wide, so the center plane of the wheel is 5" from either edge but for our purposes we'll use the inboard (back) edge of the wheel - so the center plane of this wheel is 5" from the inboard edge. Now let's look at the backspace, 4" there means that the hub-mounting surface is 4" away from the inboard edge. Compare this to the center plane, which is 5" away from that same wheel edge - this means the the center plane is an inch further outboard from the hub-mounting surface, or in other words the hub-mounting surface is an inch inboard of the center plane. Does that make sense?

im new to trucks but i come from fourwheeler racing. we referred to wheels with their offsets. say you have a 5 inch wide wheel it may have 4/1 offset meaning one side is 4 inches deep and the other side is 1 inch deep.
Here's the approximate formula to determine what is what with cars and trucks:

(offset) = (backspace) - [ (wheel width) / 2 ]

So using the numbers for the 15x10wheel:

4" - [ 10" / 2 ] = 4" - 5" = -1"

The other way around:

(backspace) = (offset) + [ (wheel width) / 2 ]

And plugging in the 15x10 wheel numbers we have:

(-1") + [ 10"/ 2] = (-1") + 5" = 4"