View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Good. Let's start with the idea of putting a 3-valve set of heads and intake on a 2-valve long-block, and using the original 2-valve PCM. Because without the 2-valve PCM you'd have to use the newer Torqshift tranny, which also requires all the electronics modifications I already mentioned.

You need to fabricate a throttle cable mount to the 3-valver's throttle body, and you need to figure out what to do with the variable plenum intake. Also, there was a guy on here, who later disappeared when he sorta got run off for trying to cook up a way to sell a conversion kit after sifting our collective brains for months while he built everything. He used a vacuum dashpot to modulate the variable plenum - and I'm not sure that's the best idea, but he seemed to think it worked.

That guy found out the cam position sensor throws a code when using the 3-valver cam position sensor with the 2-valver PCM. I THINK it might have had to do with the clearance between the sensor and the magnet on the cam gear, because he tried both the 3-valve sensor and the 2-valve sensor, and it still threw the code.

It ran, but always lit the check-engine light for the cam position sensor. Not sure if it was a "circuit" code, or just "not right" code

You'll also need the exhaust manifolds for the 3-valver.