View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 05:49 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
i think that the 6.5L turbo might be a bad choice of turbos actually.. they are super tiny little turbos and IIRC they only ran off of one side of that engine???? so really you could put on something much better like an HX35 off of a cummins and have a more reliable turbo. It might spool a little bit later and shift your power range up a little, but thats better in a gasser IMO anyways. I never have liked those little bity turbos. wonder what one could do with like an HX40 or an S366.. move some major air in there.
The 6.5L turbo is not run off of just one bank of the motor, there is a cross over pipe for the turbo. It wouldnt make much sense in running a turbo off of one bank. The turbo size is perfect because its not very big and it does build boost at a low RPM. the redline for the strait six is 5000 rpm. that is the highest the computer will let you go. If you put a larger turbo on and make it spool at a higher rpm it will put more strain on the motor and you will always have to have your foot in it to make the power. With this turbo when crusing around town the turbo is not making boost because most of the time my RPMs are around 1500 and when im on the interstate its around 1800 and if i need more power while pulling a hill I only need to give it alittle more throttle to make the turbo spool, and i hit max power at 3252 RPM and with the redline at 5000 RPM the motor doesnt have to run close to its limits to make the power.