View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
blackout150
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for brakes!

Well at 58,500 it was time for brakes. How did I know? well it wasn't because the little metal tabs were squealing against the rotors, because there werent any. The right rear was scraping the rotor, put a few grooves, but no too bad. Should be able to get them turned when I have more time. The stranger part to me was it was the rear brakes that needed changing, not the fronts. I was really annoyed that the pads didn't have the warning tab to let you know they were low. I have never had them wear out this fast either, my old 98 F150 had the original fronts on at 120,000 and they still werent worn out. Oh well, maybe it has something to due with the fact that this vehicle is heavier than the old Expy's and 150's, or that it is my wifes vehicle to drive! Dont tell her I said that! The right rear outside pad was completely worn down, the inside still had about 3/16" left. The left rear was almost completely gone on the outside and the inside still had the same 3/16" left. Was an easy job, remove two plastic caps off of the rubber boot around the caliper bolts, use an allen wrench ( 7mm I think, didn't have one but the 1/4" was close enough) to remove the two bolts from each caliper. Pop the old pads out, compress the piston, new pads in and re-install caliper.