View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 09:17 PM
mcpaul05
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbocharged 4.9L 300

The truck is a 1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9L turbo putting out 244 rwhp and 400 rwtq at 10.8 PSI on 91 pump gas. I know many people have trucks like this and would like more power but there is no support for it. In this write up I will tell how I did it and what I used to do it.
First off the motor its self is stock except for the RV cam, the stock one might have given me more power to be honest. I built a remote mount turbo set up using a turbo from a 94 6.5L diesel chevy, 42lbs fuel injectors, one piece charge pipe from the turbo to the blow off valve which is a Type R, then to a custom Y pipe going into the throttle body. I used a oil filter adapter plate from Pro Sport gauges to run the -6 stainless braided line to the turbo. Then used 1/2 inch high temp rubber hose from the turbo to the Turbo Werks oil pump then -6 stainless braided line from the pump to the oil fill cap of the engine. All Vaccum lines have check valves so the HVAC and fuel system doesn't get pressurized when the turbo builds boost. The ignition system has Taylor wires, cap and rotor, I'm also running a MSD blaster coil and MSD 6-BTM Boost Timing Master. I'm still running the stock speed density tunned using a SCT chip. It has taken a local speed shop and I about a month of tuning time on the dyno. As far as I know we have been the only ones to tune one of these truck. I will have all the info at the end. To keep an eye on the vitals of the engine I use a EGT gauge, fuel pressure gauge, boost/vac gauge from Pro Sport, and a Wide band O2/volt meter/turbo timer from innovate motorsports with the LC1 Wide band sensor.
All pics of the build can be seen in my profile or at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147225

The speed shop that helped with the tuning is APS in Oklahoma City OK, 405-424-7223 ask for Bo

Ill be happy to answer any questions about the build