Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
reed1951
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Oil PSI and Compression check results on my flathead

Well I went to auto parts store and bought a mechanical oil pressure gauge because the one in the truck was reading low and I borrowed a compression checker gauge from a local shop. The oil pressure was consistent from cold start to warm at about 47-50 PSI. Some one had rigged some kind of funky oil system to the engine before, so I took it off so there wasn't an oil filter. Used pennsoil straight 30w oil. I do have the correct oil filter to put on it I just wanted to do the test first before I spent money on a new filter. I know that not running a filter gives a little more PSI anyways. P.S. after I took the old oil system off and put the mechanical guage on I still had the guage from inside the cab hooked up and it read 32 psi which was a little better than before when it had the funky oiling system on it.

The compression test showed 105,107,100,99,99,94,110,101. So highest being 110 and the lowest 94. I don't think the throttle was all the way down when I did the cylinder with 94 psi didn't realize it till I was already on my way back to the shop. The shop I borrowed the compression checker from said that was good. All I can say is its getting REALLY hard to even think about putting the 302 I have in this thing.