View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM
GeoQwest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaky/squeaky steering

The front end of my Ex has groaned and creaked like an old sailing ship since the day I bought it new in 2001. The culprits were everything from ball joints (a routine consumable on Superduty chassis), body mounts, pitman arms, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings...

But now I have a groan only on turning at low speed. I've added potions and lotions to the steering fluid with no luck. Short of velcroing a midget to the front axle to isolate the squeeky spot, I can't quite figure out were it is coming from.

Possibly related to the problem...the front right took a huge hit on a dirt bank about a month ago. It hit hard enough to spin the steering wheel like a wind vane in a tordedo, blew a new inside tie rod out of straight and cracked the wheel bearing which I just replaced.

I've never dealt with steering components other than bushings and bearings. Any thoughts on steering pumps or racks?

If not, I'll just start replacing joints, bushings and bearings...again. Or turn up the stereo until something falls off.