View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many guys on this particular forum, myself included, have traded in the F-150 front coils for F-250 2WD coils. The lift usually averages from 1½"-2" (I'm not much on lifts, but I AM big on towing stability!), and there are only two main issues that seem fairly common. One is that it's difficult to get the alignment within spec after the swap...even the most aggressive camber bushings will usually result in a slight positive camber. So far I've probably put about 4000 miles on my truck since the spring swap, and there's no abnormal tire wear...but 4000 miles might not be enough to notice a problem yet.

The other issue, while a bit more rare, is that some guys that have done the swap have reported the spring is too close (read: touching) to the lower ball joint nut. This seems to have more to do with the spring manufacturer than anything else, but (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong) IIRC the MOOG springs are more likely to cause the problem.

If you're looking for a relatively cheap lift in the rear, consider some F-250 rear springs. Check your yellow pages to see if you have a spring shop locally...I picked my 2800# springs up for $244 for the pair, which beat the pants off any prices I found online. I left the factory lift blocks out in order to reuse my original U-bolts (which some folks advise against...I suppose if money is no object, buy new ones). Or, since a 250 spring pack is considerably thicker than the half-ton, you can get some longer U-bolts and use your original lift blocks. My truck sits dead-level now with the 250/350 front coils and the 250 rears without the blocks.

Last thing to keep in mind is that whether you go add-a-leaf or 250 springs in the rear, the ride is going to get stiffer (the front springs didn't seem to make much difference). But the way I see it...it's a truck, and it's s'posta RIDE like a truck!

Pat