View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
lvin4jc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by roljr
I guess I should have asked some questions first, are you looking to keep your gearing the same (speedometer), looking for original look,are you set on using stock rims? The answers can be more exact with more input.The truck will accept (clearance) the size I gave.You can go with 15" rims and open alot more options.

Bob
Yeah, well i've got a two-phase plan for this truck and phase one would definitely include the stock rims, so for now that's the plan. The gearing (rearend) will change at some point in between phase 1 & 2. I'm not too concerned about what the speedometer says all my trucks have had 33" tires and so i'm pretty used to correcting my driving to match. Thanks for the help BTW

Originally Posted by truckdog62563
Looking through my National Wheel and Rim Association manuals, your 4.50" rim is spec'd for a 6.50 tire. On that narrow rim you'd be looking at a modern 175mm width. It would take a 6" rim to properly fit a 215 width. To my mind you're better off staying with a modern 6.50 x 16" tire like would be available from Coker, Universal, Lucas, or Miller. Stu
You're probably right, I just have so many other places money could go on this truck. I have had awesome luck dealing with a company in Soutd Dakota that used to be called Hi-Tech Retreading and is now called Treadwright.com i've used them for years and I have some of their tires on my Durango right now, I love them and they're exactly half the price of regular tires and in my experience at least the same quality. I was just wanting to try and find a modern equivalent. But, I would like a thin white wall in the future and I probably should just invest in a nice set from Coker...