Old 06-06-2010, 07:21 AM
PurdueAg94
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1999 - F250 Transmission Problems - looking for advice!

Hi Ford Friends,

I'm new to the Ford Truck Forums - should have joined a long time ago. I have 135K miles on my 99 Powerstroke 4x4 and yesterday the automatic transmission apparently gave up the gost. I have reverse and low 1. About 2 years ago the overdrive light quit functioning and I didn't think that much about it. I replaced the switch and it still didn't make it work. It would not light up to indicate it was off. Although I have pulled a lot of trailers, wagons, etc, around the farm, I've never beat on this thing as I try to take super good care of my vehicles. Last summer I did have to replace the torque converter (which I did myself) and had no other problems. The transmission showed no signs of slippage or noise, it just simply quit on me while driving from one field to the next with no load. I'm going to drop it out this morning in my shop. I didn't know if it is worth rebuilding, or if I should look for a new one? We have quite a few transmission shops around us here in South Bend, IN and I have heard good and bad about them all. A friend of mine told me I should buy a used one from a salvage yard - and I'm a little skeptical of doing that. I like to research things as much as I can before spending my money on repairs - especially one like this that I want to last. Any help or advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.