Old 05-28-2010, 02:59 AM
compman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok...

Ok...got the 351w home and started checking things out. I can't find the casting numbers on the heads (???)...they are just marked with a big "T" in several different places, with what I believe to be a casting date of 7K15 (November 15, 1987 ???). The stock cam measures about .280 on the intake lobe and .285 on the exhaust lobe, which figuring for the factory rated 1.6 ratio rockers equals .448 intake/.456 exhaust. Sounds pretty darn close to the 351HO cam to me. I haven't thrown a degree wheel on it yet, but everything I found shows that this engine should have the 351HO cam in it.

I haven't pulled the heads yet to check their condition as well as see what the bores and pistons look like, but one very notable difference for the much greater factory power rating over my '83 engine is the exhaust manifolds. Where the '83 stockers have a 1 3/4" (measured) outlet on them, these '88 factory bronco units have what appears to be an almost 2 1/2" outlet. The bronco downpipes where quite a bit bigger than my '83's, as well as the factory single exhaust on the bronco appeared to be a 3" system over my 2 1/2" factory single exhaust. Bigger cam, better heads, a bit more compression, and better exhaust...no wonder these things are rated at 70+ hp more than the '83 model.

Where can I fond some good info for porting the E7 heads? I am thinking seriously about using a comp cams retrofit roller cam, probably the 218/224 cam with a set of howards retro fit roller lifters. Any idea approx what pushrod length to start with to get me close?