Old 05-27-2010, 11:44 AM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weyland426
this is a little embarrassing, but I have 60k on the odometer and have never changed a fuel filter or drained the separator. i use a local tire/brake shop for oil changes...i suppose i better let a ford garage do the next service to see how far behind i am on this kind of stuff.
Don't take it to Ford; they'll void your warranty on the spot if they've never been changed.

Get a 36mm socket, a can of patience, around half a tank or less of fuel and do this...

Pop the cap on the fuel tank, open the bleeder on the fuel/water separator and let it drain. Pop a beer, and drink it. After beer is done, check to see if it's done draining. If still draining, pop another beer and wait. Once it finishes, then you can do the filter in the engine compartment without a big mess. After it's done, it's break time, so pop another beer. After the beer do the filter on the rail...The wiring harness is in the way, so a 36mm wrench helps. Either way, it's a PITA. After they're done, have another beer, climb up in the cab, and turn the key to "run" for 30 seconds. Repeat that 8-10 times to prime the fuel rails and filters. After that, fire it up, check for leaks, pop a beer and enjoy the rest of your day.