Thread: Alignment Specs
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
jas88
Lead Driver
Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
The 30 feet is how far the truck is from the wall, the farther the vehicle is, the more pronounced the difference will be.
Yeah, I know what it is, I am just not agreeing with using it in setting your toe. If that was a viable method, then there would need to be a spec for how far away from the wall you could be. Trust me, use the tape measure, and set it to 1/4" toed in.

You must measure from the same point on the tire at the back and the front for the measurement to be meaningful. You can determine that a number of ways. In the olden days we used to have a tire scoring tool that made a mark all the way around the center of the tire, but I have been trying for years to find one on eBay with no luck. Now I use the tool I got from Harbor Freight which measures from the outside edge of the tire, but I used to just look very closely at the tread design and mark the center of the tire with a pen.

Dude, I have been doing it this way for over 30 years and I have never had tire wear problems. I set EVERYTHING to 1/4" in because I found, over the years, that was more or less the factory toe setting for every car I aligned in a shop.